Re: [YA] Fwd: Class B Purchase

  • From: Kim Hubbard
  • Date: Tue Oct 06 23:37:03 1998

> On Tue, Oct 06, 1998 at 07:56:59PM -0400, Kim Hubbard wrote:
> > Michael,
> >
> > Could you define "legitimately multihomed" please?
>
> 	I think that a prime example would be a site such as
> progressive networks, cnn (turner), msbnc, or any other high
> traffic site.
>
> 	They will be multiply connected to major providers,
> but most use some sort of ip director, and all their
> machines sit on the same /24.
>
> 	Although I don't like the way some of these peoples networks
> are built, they don't have enough machines/servers to justify anything
> more than a /24 or even at most a /22, but still need provider
> independent space as they may show up at regional exchange points.
>
> 	The best bet for these people in some cases is to go hunt for
> space that is "available", as ARIN and folks won't allocate such space.
>
> 	Their other option is to sit on the network block of
> one of their providers, but some people do have issues with
> announcing other providers address space (like it's against their
> internal policies).
>
> 	This would be a semi-justfiable use of a portable block
> less than a /19, would it not?
>
> 	- Jared

Speaking for myself (not ARIN or its members) I would say yes, however,
it's easy to list examples of multi-homed but we would need to either
list every acceptable example or state one definition that doesn't
make ARIN's staff have to subjectively decide which organization is
"legitimately" multi-homed.  From my experience (not to mention ARIN's
Advisory Council) this is more difficult than it seems.

Kim