Re: [YA] Fwd: Class B Purchase

  • From: Geoff Huston
  • Date: Tue Oct 06 18:22:20 1998

At 06:17 AM 10/6/98 -0500, Karl Denninger wrote:
>Oh, I'm quite certain  that the "registries" will recognize a court order,
>which, if they refuse to recognize a reassignment, is precisely what they
>*should* be forced to recognize.

I don't think "the courts will resolve this mess" is a reasonable or
likely response given the larger international context in which this
address allocation resides.

As a counter point, I'm equally certain that the "registries" will have
a difficult time figuring out _which_ court has jurisdiction in any given
dispute, given that the planet seems to be stuffed to the brim of both
courts and lawyers :-)

The problem is that address prefixes _are_ being traded, and as the registry
policies do not recognize this activity, the task for an ISP to validate
a client's request to route an arbitrary address prefix is largely one of
uninformed guesswork. I'm sure most ISPs would see the potential for
liability in such a situation. But I do not see the courts as the
means of resolving this situation. Yes we need a more realistic registry role
where the registry role is more akin to that of a title registration
office, but the courts will not provide us the wherewithal to get to
that point with a set of processes and tools which support an accurate
routing system where each routing entry can be authenticated to its
current "owner".

You can call me a faithless heathen if you want, but I just don't see
why the legal process should have any deeper insight into solving this
problem than the rest of us weenies!

Geoff