Re: [YA] Fwd: Class B Purchase

  • From: Roeland M.J. Meyer
  • Date: Mon Oct 05 19:36:42 1998

At 04:16 PM 10/5/98 -0500, Karl Denninger wrote:
>On Mon, Oct 05, 1998 at 02:13:11PM -0700, Tony Li wrote:
>> [email protected] (Karl Denninger) writes:
>>
>> > Specifically, RFC2008 says:
>> >
>> > While it has never been explicitly stated that various Internet
>> >    Registries use the "address ownership" allocation policy, it has
>> >       always been assumed (and practiced).
>> >
>> > That sentence, in particular the last five words of that sentence, are
>> > extremely important.  10+ years of a given practice and set of operating
>> > rules cannot be overturned by fiat.
>>

>> One might notice that these words were written in an RFC.  Not in a law
>> book.
>
>Then so does ARIN's and the IANA's ability to control and delegate addresses.
>
>You can't have it both ways.  Either the IETF process is valid, in which
>case the precedents it sets are also valid, or it is not, in which case
>none of the existing "organizations" have any validity at all, INCLUDING
>THOSE POSTULATED UNDER THE WHITE PAPER AND THE IANA2 DOCUMENTS.
>
>Which would you prefer?

I dunno, considering that the White Paper process is in critical care ICU,
at the moment, and the USG may be hi-jacking the Internet in general.
That's a real interesting question. If you've been keeping up with the
ICANN issue, and read their Article/by-laws, you'd be wondering the same
thing. You might want to drop by the http://www.open-rsc.org web-site, or
see what's been happening in DOMAIN-POLICY. FYI: I've been involved with
the IFWP process through ORSC/IRSC and support the Boston Working Group
(BWG) proposal. Draft 5 Postel is unacceptable to me and anyone else
running a gTLD registry, IMHO.

As regards the IETF, the RFC's have always been mis named, as they are
really defacto InterNet standards. However, note that there is no
enforcement. They are NOT a matter of law. In most cases, they are only
superficailly complied with. Besides which, most of those standards are
along the lines of "If you want to do this, and you want to internetwork
with others in this, then this is how you do it". IETF is not a regulatory
standards body and don't wish to be. This is why their documents are
*called* RFCs, n'est pas?

Mostly, MHSC uses the RFCs as a best-practices document set. If we find a
better way to do something that fits in our operations plans better, then
that's what we'll do. Take RFC2010 for instance. We're re-writing that for
internal use, as it's not cost-effective with hardware and modern
operational practices/software/systems. We *may* submit the final as an
upgrade to 2010.

Are regards ARIN and IANA, their only jurisdiction is the public InterNet.
Internally, with NAT and VPNs, most ISPs assign their own addresses.

Roeland M.J. Meyer, ISOC (InterNIC RM993)
e-mail: <mailto:[email protected]>[email protected]
Internet phone: hawk.mhsc.com
Personal web pages: <http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer>www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site: <http://www.mhsc.com/>www.mhsc.com/
I bet the human brain is a kludge.