Re: [YA] Fwd: Class B Purchase

  • From: Karl Denninger
  • Date: Mon Oct 05 18:37:51 1998

On Mon, Oct 05, 1998 at 02:13:11PM -0700, Tony Li wrote:
> [email protected] (Karl Denninger) writes:
>
> > Specifically, RFC2008 says:
> >
> > While it has never been explicitly stated that various Internet
> >    Registries use the "address ownership" allocation policy, it has
> >       always been assumed (and practiced).
> >
> > That sentence, in particular the last five words of that sentence, are
> > extremely important.  10+ years of a given practice and set of operating
> > rules cannot be overturned by fiat.
>

> One might notice that these words were written in an RFC.  Not in a law
> book.
>
> They have all of the legal weight of a Jim Flem-o-gram.
>
> Tony

Then so does ARIN's and the IANA's ability to control and delegate addresses.

You can't have it both ways.  Either the IETF process is valid, in which
case the precedents it sets are also valid, or it is not, in which case
none of the existing "organizations" have any validity at all, INCLUDING
THOSE POSTULATED UNDER THE WHITE PAPER AND THE IANA2 DOCUMENTS.

Which would you prefer?

Karl Denninger ([email protected]) http://www.mcs.net/~karl
I ain't even *authorized* to speak for anyone other than myself, so give
up now on trying to associate my words with any particular organization.