Re: Is the .to (Tonga) domain completely rogue and should be removed?

  • From: Jay R. Ashworth
  • Date: Thu Oct 01 20:06:57 1998

On Thu, Oct 01, 1998 at 03:02:29AM -0400, Barry Shein wrote:
> The question was what we should do, not what they should do. For
> example, should we remove their domain from the top level servers if
> it has ceased to serve any legitimate purpose?

<sigh>

Legitimate to _whom_, Barry?  It's a _TLD_.  It only has to be
"legitimate" to the Administrative Contact in the whois record, as far
as I can see.

> But we can cut off our half of the connection if we feel it is
> primarily malicious and abusive.

"our half of the connection".  The link itself is almost certainly
commercial, and the root DNS entries, I strongly suspect, are there in
trust for the IANA, who are the administrative owners of "", to the
extent that there are any, I think.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [email protected]
Member of the Technical Staff     "The net is safer in bad weather: you

Managing Editor, Top Of The Key sports e-zine ------------ http://www.totk.com