Re: Is the .to (Tonga) domain completely rogue and should be removed?

  • From: Barry Shein
  • Date: Thu Oct 01 18:53:09 1998

On October 1, 1998 at 14:08 [email protected] (Aaron Goldblatt) wrote:
 > > > Barry, this seems sort of silly.  They have a stated abuse policy.  You
 > [...]
 > >Something is very, very wrong with the Tongan domain and its
 > >management. They're not removing criminal domain-hijacking spammers,
 > >they're just letting them change their name as far as I can tell.
 >
 > Maybe because you haven't followed their abuse policy.  Wow.

Aaron: Clearly we're talking about what to do in reaction to some of
the worst kinds of abusers on the net, second perhaps only to outright
crackers and smurfers, and the mismanaged resources they exploit.

We're talking about people who send tens of thousands, at least, of
unsolicited email messages daily, many with explicit language in the
Subject headers, advertising a porn site address in the .to domain.

In addition, these messages have From: addresses forged into them with
others' legitimate domain names, soas to cause the owners of that
domain to be pummelled day and night with bounces and complaints.

Judging from the actual behavior, which is indisputable, these
criminals are finding the .to domain to be a convenient haven to
operate out of, probably due to the mismanagement (I'm not really
accusing those involved with .to of anything more than possible
mismanagement) of the .to domain as much as anything else. For
example, it appears they, whoever is administering this .to domain
(and it's apparently not Tonga), have absolutely no idea who is
creating domains in their space, and will shut off an abusing domain
and a few minutes later give the same people another domain.

Now, explain to us again exactly what your interest in defending these
people so strenuously?

I don't get it.

These appear to be some of the worst vermin on the net and are
enormous time sink, and are being aided and abetted by what appears to
be gross mismanagement, at best, and yet there you are ready in a
second to leap to their defense?

Why?

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | [email protected]          | http://www.world.com
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*