Re: Is the .to (Tonga) domain completely rogue and should be removed?

  • From: Barry Shein
  • Date: Thu Oct 01 17:20:54 1998

On October 1, 1998 at 16:13 [email protected] ([email protected]) wrote:

 > Flames aside, I think it's safe to conclude that removing the .to TLD
 > would have roughly zero effect on spam, yet plenty of negative effect on
 > the thousands of legitimate users of the TLD.

Not clear. Obviously .to is being run in a very unusual way. Among
other things, I guess the spammers can instantly sign up new domains
for their web sites as fast as .to can take them down (which isn't
very fast, but for discussion's sake.)

That's quite unusual, and the entire activity seems to have nothing to
do with the Kingdom of Tonga or any entitites within that country
except inasmuch as they seem to look the other way and probably get
some money for it (others have claimed this.)

But the proof is in the pudding, ADULTSIGHTS.COM is finding the way
the .to domain is being managed very useful to their mass spamming and
other criminal (e.g., domain hijacking) activities.

Taken togther, I say that's a problem. What should be done about it is
yet another question, of course.

Also, I'm not sure I agree with your characterization that businesses
etc which have registered a Tongan domain, but have no other
relationship with Tonga, are "legitimate".

They may be banal, harmless, other than what may well be prima facie
evidence of intent to defraud by advertising a business etc in a
country they don't actually have any presence in, but that doesn't
necessarily make the usage "legitimate".

I don't think I'd want to be on the wrong side of a court case, even
if unfair, with the other side pointing out that I was doing business
via a network address in the Kingdom of Tonga, unless I really had a
good reason for doing so other than "I thought the name was cute". The
law doesn't tend to look kindly on businesses which purposely
obfuscate their identity and whereabouts.

 > Truly a case of throwing out the baby with the bath water, IMHO.
 > James Smallacombe		      PlantageNet, Inc. CEO and Janitor
 > [email protected]							    http://3.am
 > ISPF, The Forum for ISPs by ISPs.  October 26-28, 1998, Atlanta, GA.
 > Three days of clues, news, and views from the industry's best and
 > brightest. http://www.ispf.com/ for information and registration.

        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | [email protected]          | http://www.world.com
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*