Re: Is the .to (Tonga) domain completely rogue and should beremoved?

  • From: Barry Shein
  • Date: Thu Oct 01 14:02:47 1998

On October 1, 1998 at 08:05 [email protected] (Sam Hayes Merritt, III) wrote:
 > On Thu, 1 Oct 1998, Barry Shein wrote:
 >
 > > The problem is mass spammers operating from within that domain forging
 > > legitimate host names into their spam.
 > > They're advertising a porn site within the .to domain.
 >
 > And?
 > .com has this problem too

Com does not have the problem that it's nearly exclusively used for
these kinds of things.

If com had just about zero commercial sites you might have a point.

The .to domain seems to have about zero sites having anything to do
with Tonga (no one has yet pointed even one out to me) or any entity
organized within Tonga.

Even the site which appears by its name to be the Consulate of Tonga
(sfconsulate.gov.to) is an ad for a software company and says nothing
about Tonga. The San Francisco Consulate of the Kingdom of Tonga is
listed by the US State Dept as the contact point for visas etc.

That's a different kettle of fish.

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | [email protected]          | http://www.world.com
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*