Re: Is the .to (Tonga) domain completely rogue and should be removed?

  • From: Steven J. Sobol
  • Date: Thu Oct 01 13:15:41 1998

On Thu, Oct 01, 1998 at 03:22:55AM -0400, Barry Shein wrote:

> No, a typical method of judgement used where something won't likely be
> 100% one way or the other is the "preponderance of evidence".

Agreed, and I don't think you have that, either!

> More importantly, in the case of a gTLD, does it serve any useful
> purpose for which it was issued, overall?
>
> Since the examples you've given don't seem to me to be entities
> organized within the Kingdom of Tonga, even if they're not porn
> sites*, what purpose is being served by keeping .to in the root
> servers?

It's already been pointed out that there IS no one-to-one mapping of
domain names to geographical areas. What's your point?

> * Porn per se was never the touchstone issue

OK - I am glad we agree on this.

--

Anyone who spams me will be subject to torture by Jake,
my killer attack hedgehog, and/or Lizzy and Junior, my man-eating iguanas.