Re: Is the .to (Tonga) domain completely rogue and should be removed?

  • From: Barry Shein
  • Date: Thu Oct 01 04:16:50 1998

On September 30, 1998 at 20:03 [email protected] (D'Arcy J. M. Cain) wrote:
 > Thus spake Barry Shein
 > > On September 30, 1998 at 14:40 [email protected] (Joe Shaw) wrote:
 > >  > All that proves is someone has a sense of humor.  I've seen plenty of
 > > No I think it indicates that a bunch of clowns have taken over what
 > > advertises itself as the official US office of the Consulate of the
 >
 > Actually, it proves that they are running the Juniper SMTP and haven't
 > bothered to change the default messages.  Connect to the smtp port
 > at druid.net and it will issue the same messages.

Well, maybe you missed the part about the website for the San
Francisco Consulate of the Kingdom of Tonga (which the US State Dept
lists as their official presence in the US) being an advertisement for
a software company.

It was all part of a picture that the .to domain may have ceased to
serve as a country TLD for the Kingdom of Tonga.

What if a country ceased to exist entirely and the domain they were
using was hijacked by some random, unrelated entity for their own
malicious purposes? Would that justify decommissioning the TLD
(meaning, removing it from the root servers)?

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | [email protected]          | http://www.world.com
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*