Re: Is the .to (Tonga) domain completely rogue and should be removed?

  • From: Barry Shein
  • Date: Thu Oct 01 03:24:17 1998

On September 30, 1998 at 18:18 [email protected] (Alex Yuriev) wrote:
 > > But as part of the whole picture, that Tonga's domain seems to be used
 > > as nothing but a "safe harbor" for porn sites engaged in criminal
 > > activity and even their own supposed govt consulate comes up as an ad
 > > for a software company etc, it would seem to indicate that this
 > > domain, .to, is not being used as a legitimate country TLD, is not
 > > being managed by the people it was assigned to for the purpose it was
 > > assigned, etc.
 >
 > The simple question here is: who are you to tell a sovereign country what
 > it can and what it cannot do?

The question was what we should do, not what they should do. For
example, should we remove their domain from the top level servers if
it has ceased to serve any legitimate purpose?

Your answer might be "no", but I think that answers your "simple
question". They can do what they like, I suppose.

But we can cut off our half of the connection if we feel it is
primarily malicious and abusive.

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | [email protected]          | http://www.world.com
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*