Re: Is the .to (Tonga) domain completely rogue and should be removed?

  • From: Roeland M.J. Meyer
  • Date: Thu Oct 01 02:47:00 1998

At 10:28 PM 9/30/98 -0400, Dean Anderson wrote:
>At 03:08 PM 9/30/98 -0500, Sam Hayes Merritt, III wrote:
>>On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Barry Shein wrote:
>>
>>> We've been having increasing problems with one or more porn sites in
>>> the .to domain promoting itself by massive spamming of AOL customers
>>> using one of our domains in their From: header thus causing both
>>> complaints to us and thousands of bounces from AOL due to bad AOL
>>> addresses in their spam lists.
>
>About a year ago, I asked Vixie if he would RBL porn sites. I might have
>supported the RBL if there were a moral high ground.  He said no.

And rightfully so. Prudish issues aside, it would have *lost* him the moral
high-ground he now enjoys. The criteria is clear, anti-spam, not
baby-sitting consenting adults. Since you live in the USA, you should
understand what the first amendment is about.

But, this is *wwwaaaayyyyyy* off topic, by light-years, and I'll say no
more about it here. See me in NetMail.

>P.S. Barry, I do feel sorry for you.  Perhaps you should just refuse spam
>complaints, and try to get them to stop using your domains.  Instead of
>stealing a domain, all the spammers need to do is change their addresses to
>uucp style addresses, and their mail will likely be accepted, and bounces
>shouldn't leave the system.

We don't accept uucp here.
Roeland M.J. Meyer, ISOC (InterNIC RM993)
e-mail: <mailto:[email protected]>[email protected]
Internet phone: hawk.mhsc.com
Personal web pages: <http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer>www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site: <http://www.mhsc.com/>www.mhsc.com/
I bet the human brain is a kludge.