Re: Is the .to (Tonga) domain completely rogue and should be removed?

  • From: Karl Denninger
  • Date: Wed Sep 30 23:35:40 1998

On Wed, Sep 30, 1998 at 05:16:50PM -0400, Barry Shein wrote:

> On September 30, 1998 at 14:40 [email protected] (Joe Shaw) wrote:
>  > All that proves is someone has a sense of humor.  I've seen plenty of
>  > sites with these types of greetings, and they aren't hard to setup.  I had
>  > a friend who setup his SMTP server to say:
>
> No I think it indicates that a bunch of clowns have taken over what
> advertises itself as the official US office of the Consulate of the
> Kingdom of Tonga. As I said, also take a look at the web page on that
> site and tell me what it has to do with the Consulate of the Kingdom
> of Tonga.
>
> Alone it would mean little.
>
> But as part of the whole picture, that Tonga's domain seems to be used
> as nothing but a "safe harbor" for porn sites engaged in criminal
> activity and even their own supposed govt consulate comes up as an ad
> for a software company etc, it would seem to indicate that this
> domain, .to, is not being used as a legitimate country TLD, is not
> being managed by the people it was assigned to for the purpose it was
> assigned, etc.

You don't know why it was really assigned, to who it was assigned, or what
terms it was assigned under.

Isn't it fun not being able to demand full, public, open accountability on
these types of things?

Karl Denninger ([email protected]) http://www.mcs.net/~karl
I ain't even *authorized* to speak for anyone other than myself, so give
up now on trying to associate my words with any particular organization.