Re: Is the .to (Tonga) domain completely rogue and should beremoved?

  • From: Alex Kamantauskas
  • Date: Wed Sep 30 15:59:28 1998

On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Barry Shein wrote:

> In support of this assertion I want to show you an SMTP conversation
> with what claims to be the Consulate of the Government of Tonga in San
> Francisco (This San Francisco office is listed as an official Tongan
> contact point for visas etc by the US State Dept):
>
> world% telnet sfconsulate.gov.to 25
> Trying 209.24.51.169...
> Connected to sfconsulate.gov.to.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 colo.to SMTP ready, Who are you gonna pretend to be today?
> VRFY postmaster
> 500 Bloody Amateur! Proper forging of mail requires recognizable SMTP commands!
>
> --------------------

Well, beyond the cutesy error messages, at least relaying is turned off.

fz(alexk):[~] telnet sfconsulate.gov.to 25
Trying 209.24.51.169...
Connected to sfconsulate.gov.to.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 colo.to SMTP ready, Who are you gonna pretend to be today?
helo tugger.net
250 colo.to Is thrilled beyond bladder control to meet tugger.net
mail from: [email protected]
250 sender is [email protected], (yeah sure, it's probably forged)
rcpt to: [email protected]
550 NOPE UNKNOWN(204.168.18.98), I don't allow unauthorized relaying.