Re: Your class 'B' address space

  • From: David R. Conrad
  • Date: Tue Sep 29 00:20:29 1998

Austin,

>	If the reason for filtering small block of space is to keep small
>companies not generating a lot of traffic from polluting routing space I
>don't think this applies.

Ouch.

Traffic generation has absolutely no relation to prefix length filtering.
The reason the filters are in place is because there are very few tools
available to limit the growth of routing tables and filtering based on
prefix length is a simple to implement unilateral mechanism that
(theoretically) encourages people to think about their actions prior to
flooding the routing system with long prefixes.  If any of this is new to
you (as it would appear to be), I'd strongly recommend reviewing the old
CIDRD archives (wherever they might be).

Regards,
-drc