Re: Your class 'B' address space

  • From: Steven J. Sobol
  • Date: Mon Sep 28 19:59:06 1998

On Mon, Sep 28, 1998 at 11:14:31AM -0700, Mark Vickers wrote:
> Let's add a little spice to you list...run it up the flag pole etc... but
> please let's deal with this professionally with out to much flame!
>
> My goal is to ensure the network meets the business objective of our
> company, not simply to debug traffic etc. In order to do this I need
> redundant connections to multiple ISP's, and a method for delivering delay
> sensitive traffic in the most efficient way possible.
> The above implies BGP.

You don't need a Class B. Period.

I'm sorry, I don't agree with your reasoning. If you need a large block,
why don't you consider getting a /19, which I think is the smallest block
most providers will advertise? I doubt you even need that much address space,
and I don't think your usage justifies even a /19. Let the people who need the
space, have the space.

> template, so don't be to quick to grab for the high moral ground!! Finally,
> I can appeal ARIN's decision, which I have already requested from IANA, and
> was told to request an appeal from [email protected] I'm still waiting
> to here something.

What's the difference betweeen you, and your customers, many of whom are big
sites that need to route streaming audio and video on a time-critical basis?

They aren't going out and trying to get /16's, Mark. You want to do what
you're doing just so you can measure traffic. That's ridiculous.

> I also wonder if there aren't free speech issues involved if US entities
> start dropping traffic based on non technical factors?

Red herring. I don't think your technical situation merits a /16.

--

Anyone who spams me will be subject to torture by Jake,
my killer attack hedgehog, and/or Lizzy and Junior, my man-eating iguanas.