Re: Alternative sources for Cisco memory?

  • From: Rob Walker
  • Date: Thu Sep 24 13:50:20 1998

call up TAC, and get the "AVL list - Authorized Vendor List" for your
router.

A quick search for AVL on the main site at cisco returned a few
interesting pages:

"don't do this, we're not responsible, etc." at

"RAM for RSP or VIP cards" at
which has links to some great pictures at
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/770/compare.gif and
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/770/ruler.gif

some of the other links talk about the AVL for other products as
well.

have fun,
rob

Nathan> On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Joseph Thomas wrote:

>> I received prices for upgrading RAM memory in both a Cisco 7000
>> and Cisco 7500. Ouch!
>>
>> My question is: the 7000 appears to accept standard 30pin SIMMs
>> while the 7500 accepts 72pin SIMMs. Since I can purchase lifetime memory
>> (60ns, true parity) for orders of magnatiude less, why shouldn't I? Has
>> anyone really tried this? Other than Cisco claiming that future problems
>> are related to the non-Cisco memory I installed, what problems might I
>> encounter? Are there less-expensive "Cisco certified" memory dealers?

Nathan> You sure can, most providers upgrade the memory on their ciscos with 3rd
Nathan> party RAM, the cisco stuff just cost to much. I dont know of "Cisco
Nathan> certified" memory dealers, but just buying decent RAM from any good vender
Nathan> should be fine.

>> Thanks.

>> <>
Nathan> Nathan Stratton				Telecom & ISP Consulting
Nathan> www.robotics.net	 		[email protected]
Nathan> --
Nathan> "No king is saved by the size of his army; no warrior escapes by
Nathan> his great strength."                               - Psalm 33:16