Re: WEATHER: Puerto Rico/Hurricane Georges

  • From: Nathan Stratton
  • Date: Wed Sep 23 23:28:46 1998

On Wed, 23 Sep 1998, Sean Donelan wrote:

> 37 dead.
>
> I'll concentrate on Puerto Rico because DRA has some customers on
> that island.  I'm not sure of the Internet or telecommunication
> situation on other islands.

I have two clients in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. There was quite a
lot of damage in the area. Most roads are still closed because of down
trees. Electrical power in most of the area is still out and they expect
the power to be out for at least 15 more days. The Santo Domingo airport
had quite a bit of damaged. Most of the windows blew out and some hardware
in the control tower was damaged.

Telephone service was disrupted in many areas, but most people in Santo
Domingo still have phone services. The two largest internet providers are
operational and running on generators. It looks like all capacity into the
country is operational.

><>
Nathan Stratton				Telecom & ISP Consulting
www.robotics.net	 		[email protected]
--
"No king is saved by the size of his army; no warrior escapes by
his great strength."                               - Psalm 33:16