Re: Sat phones

  • From: Michael Shields
  • Date: Wed Sep 23 10:30:37 1998

In article <[email protected]>,
Sean Donelan <[email protected]> wrote:
> In practice, I would expect excavators careful enough to have all
> the underground utilities marked ahead of time, are also careful
> during their digging.

Well, as you know there is no hope for us.  When the contractor was
digging a trench to install fiber to our building, they managed to cut
the 20kV power line.  It was marked.

All you can do is put in enough redundancy to bring downtime to a
level you(r customers) think is acceptable.

I think MTTR is underappreciated and lowering it is probably the most
cost-effective way to keep your percentage availability high.  You
periodic NOC contact checking is a good step there.
--
Shields, CrossLink.