Re: Frame Relay encap vis-a-vis point-to-point at UUNET

  • From: Jeff Mcadams
  • Date: Tue Sep 22 18:32:56 1998

Thus spake Chris Fairbanks
>Well, UUnet does terminate T3s into the Cascades.  One of our T3s happens to
>go to UUnet and it is into one of their Cascades at PAIX.  It is currently
>only a fraction circuit.  From talking with their installer, they only plug
>you directly into one of their routers if the circuit is 15mb or higher.

Well, that's a general guideline that they use...just turned up a 12mb
circuit and its straight into a router...however, we've been customers
of UU.Net for quite some time and they looked at our usage on our T1
circuits with them and realized that when we get a circuit, we *use* it,
so they made the decision to put us directly on a router port in
anticipation of us actually using the bandwidth.

Incidentally, we're straight into the router port and still using f/r
encap.  I'm not really sure of the reasoning behind this, but
apparently, the edict came down from on high that all new turn-ups would
use frame-relay encap...even if straight into a router port.  *shrug*
--
Jeff McAdams                            Email: [email protected]
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848