Re: Frame Relay encap vis-a-vis point-to-point at UUNET

  • From: Dave Carmean
  • Date: Tue Sep 22 14:25:08 1998

On Mon, Sep 21, 1998 at 08:33:27PM -0400, Nathan Stratton wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Sep 1998, Barry L James wrote:

> > Now, I guess my question is: am I getting sold the brooklyn bridge here?
>
> Well no, but it does have some problems. A lot of the Cascades at UUNet
> are the old HSSI cards and have problems over 30 megs.

Anybody done/doing this with Cisco/StrataCom BPX/etc?  One of our
providers attempted this with us about a year ago, without success.
This was before CEF/CAR, and they wanted to perform rate limiting/
shaping on our T3 down to 10Mbit/Sec.  The idea was to use frame-to-ATM
translation (terminology?) and then ATM QoS tweaks in the BPX,
before shipping it to a 7513 via HSSI.

Cisco wasn't able to make the specific FR card involved work
then, however.  I don't remember the switch card P/N.

Is CAR inexpensive enough processor-wise that this and the CT-3
card make the above obsolete/moot?

--
David Carmean                                           <[email protected]>
Avtel Communications, Santa Barbara, CA			+1-805-884-6300