Re: Frame Relay encap vis-a-vis point-to-point at UUNET

  • From: Mark Tripod
  • Date: Tue Sep 22 14:15:50 1998

Barry,

The story that you were told jives with what I was told many moons ago
by UUNet when I ordered lines for my previous employer. The need for
frame relay encapsulation is not necessary since the Cascade (Ascend)
9000 supports PPP to frame relay translation.

At Pacific Bell Internet we turned up all dedicated ports on PPP even
though they terminated on our 9000 and the customer was never the wiser.
I guess UUNet likes to explain to each and every customer why they are
using FR encap instead of PPP.

The short answer to your question is, no. There is basically no
difference between FR and PPP as far as performance of your line goes.

Mark Tripod
Senior Backbone Engineer
Exodus Communications