Re: FCC outage reports

  • From: Michael Shields
  • Date: Sat Sep 19 07:49:22 1998

In article <[email protected]>,
Sean Donelan <[email protected]> wrote:
> FCC outage reports by year and inter-exchange carrier
>
>              1992    1993    1994    1995    1996
> AT&T            3      15       7      18      17
> MCI            13      12      19       9      15
> Sprint          3      11       3      12       9
> WorldCom       NA      NA      NA       7      13
>
> There are all sorts of normalization problems, different reporting
[...]

You'd also want to look at more than just the count of outage reports;
the size of the outages matters, the total size of the network, and
the MTTR.  If you "had to" distill it to a single number I suppose
percentage uptime is the one to use.

I'm not sure fiber cuts are common enough to make a meaningful
statement about the reliability of one carrier vs. another.
--
Shields, CrossLink.