RE: How to loadshare over many E1 links

  • From: Howard C. Berkowitz
  • Date: Fri Sep 18 16:55:46 1998

At 12:00 PM -0700 9/18/98, Chris Cappuccio wrote:
>On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, Barry L James wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, Chris Cappuccio wrote:
>>
>> > Most 10/100M cards have FDX for both 10 and 100Mbps operation.  Cisco
>> > catalyst hubs support 10Mbps FDX.  Intel EtherExpress PCI cards do 10M
>> > FDX... BayNetworks hubs also..
>>
>> I thought the catalyst line were switches only.  Can hubs support
>> full-duplex?  I didn't think they could for some reason.
>>

>I dunno if Cisco calls the 1900 and 2900's switches, but as far as I can
>tell they don't do anything more then my 10/100 Bay networks hubs!!
>
>Smart, very manageable hubs.. The 10Mbps ports on the 1900 and Bay
>networks 301 don't do FDX, but the 100Mbps on the 2900 and Bay networks
>350/350T do 10M/FDX..

1900's and 2900's are switches, but don't read too much into the term
"hub."  Cisco (and Bay for that matter) can be strange in its naming.

A bit of trivia.  If you look on the copyright page of IOS 9.1
documentation, you will find Cisco trademarked the term "trouter." This was
going to be a term for a terminal server/router, until market research
suggested it didn't scale well, and customers were not lured to it because
it sounded fishy.

But progress continued. In the pocket-sized internetworking glossary, they
do mention two of the trademarks they registered while exploring the
pre-Bay joint venture with Synoptics, which would have joined "router" and
"hub" technologies.  What were they going to call this? The "Rub" and the
"Rubsystem."

Someone seems to have avoided yet another changing of foot in mouth.  There
are 2500 series routers with a small built-in hub.  Officially, these are
"hublets."  I had a student musing "hub? router? why didn't they call them
hooters?"