Re: Flash crowds and network management

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Mon Sep 14 22:30:42 1998

>Using fast-cgi and such helps a bunch. Of course, for all I know, they
>did that already.

I don't think anyone (media or government) was using cgi for the
first hour or so.  Pretty much everything besides the plain text html
was stripped off the pages.  I noticed some of the media sites even
stripped off the advertising banners, and doubleclick.com was warning
its subscribers about the load.  Obviously the government sites didn't
have any ad banners.

Although it does bring up an interesting point.  Do things like
doubleclick.com become unforeseen cascade points in the net?  They
create link between normally unrelated sites which may also link the
traffic management problems.