Re: Starr report - as seen from MAE East

  • From: Robert Szarka
  • Date: Mon Sep 14 00:03:45 1998

At 01:45 AM 9/12/98 , scott w wrote:

>Maybe folks are not as interested as the press thinks.

Or maybe a lot of us mirrored it locally.  I had the report and the
President's response(s) up here around 2200 EDT the day it came out and so
far something like 10-15% of our subscriber base has hit our local copy.
Then add to that the increased use of caching these days (we run a small
caching proxy server).  Seems plausible to me that the traffic increased
initially but fell off as the report got cached and mirrored locally.

The servers had to have been a bottleneck, too.  The LOC and CNN servers
seemed to be doing reasonably well, but for a while the report was
unavailable at LOC while they fixed errors in the footnotes.  The
Whitehouse servers/connections, which have never been stellar, seemed to
have been hammered pretty badly at one point...

--

Robert Szarka
Managing Partner, Operations