Re: Routing, Forwarding, and the Legacy Internet

  • From: Jim Fleming
  • Date: Sun Sep 13 18:51:05 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Chrisy Luke <[email protected]>
<snip>

>Even in your simplistic view, you would have to transfer 16meg of data

Please note, I did not suggest that people
implement the simplistic view. I suggested
that people focus on routing and not
forwarding.

Also, if one did implement a brut-force approach
16meg would not be transferred. You could transfer
exactly what you transfer now and the table would
be built inside the device where the 16 meg is stored.
For example, if information was obtained that all
traffic for a /8 needed to be sent via a certain interface
then 65,636 entries in the brut-force table would be
filled in with that small amount of information from
an external device. Keep in mind the premise was
that we would look at the entire address space as
/24s and have an entry for each. That does not
mean that the forwarding device needs to be told
about each of the /24s. It can be told about large
groups of them. That does not require 16meg of
data to be transferred.

Again, this discussion started with someone claiming
that /24s could be added to the routing tables.
My point was that current technology does not
encourage this and the Internet governance of the
industry has been developed to support what the
hardware vendors have to sell. In other words, we
can not start with a clean sheet and ignore the way
current devices work (or do not work).

My other point is that I do not think that vendors
will worry that much about fixing the forwarding
technology because "routing" is going to become
very key to the hardware vendor's survival. I do not
think that many Internet operators have begun to
address what is going to happen when they
have to deal with the world of routing vs. forwarding.

Jim Fleming
Unir Corporation - http://www.unir.com
End-2-End: VPC(Java)[email protected]<IPv8>[email protected](Java)VPC
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/130dftmail/unir.txt
http://www.ddj.com/index/author/idx10133.htm