Re: Inter-CO signaling?

  • From: William Allen Simpson
  • Date: Thu Sep 10 19:13:14 1998

> From: James Carlson <[email protected]>
> 	- If they're using channel banks between you and the
> 	  customer's switch (like if they dropped you cheap T1s by
> 	  putting them line-side on your switch, rather than trunk-
> 	  side), then you lose.  24Kbps will be about the maximum.

Yes, BellSouth did something like that to us at our main dial-in bank
over last weekend.  They've been running out of dialtone on the switch,
since we have so many lines (much more than they ever expected in a
rural area).

Now, they claim that they only promise that we will receive 9.6Kbps per
line!  We've been told this by several persons.  We are getting
28.8Kbps.

This problem has taken a lot of my time all week.

>       - Some misconfigurations will merely cause lots of errors and
>         poor performance rather than abject failure.  Check AMI
> 	  versus B8ZS (look for coding violations), and check for
> 	  clocking problems (extremely frequent slips noted by FDL).

We had that problem on T1s, until we switched to PRIs.  More expensive
per line, but at least they work better.  ILEC equipment is in a
terrible state.

[email protected]