Re: Director Database Marketing (Herndon VA US)

  • From: John Curran
  • Date: Wed Sep 09 00:58:17 1998

At 09:59 PM 09/08/1998 -0400, Dean Anderson wrote:

>Presumably, by such a direction, the NSF is exercising control over its own
>records...  Seemingly, one would not exercise control over private
records...

>Another point, perhaps, that these are government records and not private
>property?

Mumble.  There is no particular reason that these would have to be
government records in order for NSF to direct NSI with respect to
the contents of the root zone.  NSI, by the nature of an existing
cooperative agreement, could easily accept such direction.

I will note that there are some rather interesting consequences
to having records classified as "government records" (e.g. FOIA)
and it may actually help put such information directly into the
hands of direct marketing folks.  I'm not suggesting that having
NSI believe the database to be corporate property is any better,
only that we face a non-trivial situation here.

/John