Re: Crazy flying netbios packets

  • From: jprovo
  • Date: Thu Sep 03 12:44:07 1998

[snip]
> My fear (uneducated on the matter) is that it is not WebTrends but
> Microsoft's gethostbyaddr() call which would mean that this type of
> crazy 137/udp WINS resolution traffic is more commonly mis-used than
> we think.

There's probably something to this; since the advent of '95, I've seen
windoze users trying to hit the classful broadcast of the netblock of
their IP address.  using /16s across sites makes this sort of stuff
obvious.  I've taken to squashing it at PoP-egress, and not trying to
change the customers, as it is undoubtably just some as-shipped default.

Joe

--
Joe Provo, Network Architect                         508.229.8400 x3006
Commercial Internet Services Group                   Fax   508.229.2375