Re: September Effect

  • From: Paul Vixie
  • Date: Wed Sep 02 13:45:30 1998

[email protected] (Sean Donelan) writes:

> So what is going on?
>
> Internet growth has slowed.
>
> Internet growth is being constrained by some factor.  [...]

The most recent doubling, and most of the one before it, was "the fad thing."
CB radio had a similar pair of doublings, but ultimately it got back to the
point where only people who had a use for it, used it.

The Internet is more useful than CB radio, but on the other hand when you
consider that pornography is more than half of the non-interactive traffic
(according to the log files I gathered from a worldwide product rollout in
the transparent caching space) it's not clear how many more times we'll need
to double the bandwidth of the backbone as the fad effect drops off.

So perhaps the factor constraining the Internet's growth is "good taste."
--
Paul Vixie
La Honda, CA			"Many NANOG members have been around