Re: NSI Bulletin 098-010 | Update on Whois

  • From: Michael L. Barrow
  • Date: Wed Sep 02 13:11:14 1998

Derek Balling wrote:

> True, that's what his statement appears to say, however, who is to define
> "abuse" of the whois service?
>
> As an example, a company I worked for a while back wanted to generate, on
> their statistics reports for their customers' web sites, who each domain
> was who was hitting their page, and who it belonged to (e.g. someone

Interesting point and an interesting application. I never thought of
doing that. I guess I just always think in terms of domain names. You
mean, there's a world outside of the Internet? =)

Since we're on the topic, what *is* the process for getting access to
the whois DB? Is this even possible at this day and age? Isn't there
already a process in place to get full copies of the root zone files?
Couldn't this be extended to the whois data? Heck, it's just another
contract....

--
Michael L. Barrow * <[email protected]> * Network Engineer
Epoch Internet    * DSL Engineering    * (949) 399-8413