Re: FR Tidbit [was: 56k modems/frame/ptp revisited (LONG)]

  • From: Dan Jones
  • Date: Wed Sep 02 10:41:49 1998

Scott,

	I'm curious.  Is your assertion that "CIR is guaranteed only under
"normal" conditions" based on the Frame Relay spec or a paticular vendor(s)
implementation?  I ask because I have been in that very debate for some
time (usually with a FR vendor justifying lousey performance).

	My tendancy is to take the "Comitted" in CIR literally.  It's my
understanding that the FR congestion management routines (at least the
Stratacom one - Foresight?) will only back off bursty PVC to the point
where it's <= CIR.  The implication then is that you'll always get at least
CIR - which makes sense since that's what you're paying for.

Dan