Re: Generation of traffic in "settled" peering arrangement

  • From: Brett_Watson
  • Date: Fri Aug 28 11:35:50 1998

On 08/25/98 03:05:40 PM steve wrote:

>On Tue, Aug 25, 1998 at 03:50:37PM -0400, Alec H. Peterson wrote:
>> Owen DeLong wrote:
>> >
>> > Where do you get your data?  It seems to me that the bulk of the
largest web
>> > sites with which I am familiar are located in at least two
datacenters.

>> Most of the busy sites I frequent are hosted on the west coast (not just
>> Exodus-hosted sites, but sites in general).
>
>    That's just how the internet plays, there are probably more sights
>phisically in the silicon valley then anywhere else on the west coast.
It's
>where the busniness's are, and since they want to have their machines as
>close to them as possible, they put them here.

in my opinion, if hosting is done correctly, and managed with the right
tools, the hosting provider should be able to dictate where the servers are
placed (which city or data center) to balance load in the network (thus
balancing some of the load offered to the external peers).  while i was at
genuity, the distribution of servers was very skewed.  most customers were
either in the bay area or phoenix, and thus wanted their servers placed
there.  engineering wanted to decide where servers were placed but sales
always said "no no, the customer wants the server in city X" thus we had
terrible traffic distribution and serverely overloaded routers and circuits
between phoenix, san jose, and mae-west.

-brett