Re: BBN/GTEI

  • From: Tuomas Toivonen
  • Date: Thu Aug 27 12:49:03 1998

On Fri, Aug 21, 1998 at 08:42:34PM -0500, Karl Denninger wrote:

> ALL traffic passing between peered providers is BY DEFINITION sourced by a
> TRANSIT customer of one provider and sunk by a TRANSIT CUSTOMER of the other
> network.  The correlary to this is that all traffic passing between peered
> providers was REQUESTED by one of the transit customers of one of those
> networks, who PAID for that transit to be provided to them!

There can be no 'request' without associated 'acceptance' of that requet.
Therefore we have two 'half-links' where the content provider thinks it
beneficial to pay for the other half-link in order to get its traffic
delivered to the content consumer paying the other half. A corporate website
covers its cost of the half-link in product sales while a more serious
content provider sells subscriptions.

A colo charges the website publisher not only for rack space etc. but also
to provide the half-link to content consumer. So the colo has the fees and
will pay if peering is asymmetric.

--
[email protected]               fishpool creations ltd
http://www.kasvua.org/~toivotuo/          http://www.fishpool.fi/