Re: Generation of traffic in "settled" peering arrangement

  • From: Adrian Chadd
  • Date: Tue Aug 25 21:19:01 1998

>p.s.  The fact that the sender of traffic should be paying some portion
>      of the resulting costs is not a surprise to anyone; many of the
>      content companies that I've spoken to believe they already are
>      paying more as traffic increases, and were quite surprised to
>      find that it doesn't actually make it to the networks which
>      bear the brunt of the traffic carriage.

Why don't you just resort to a bit-counting method that I suggested earlier
for settlement peering, and make the *SENDER* carry the traffic to the
'local' destination ?

That way, the sender has to build a large enough network to distribute its
traffic to the destination networks, without just presenting at one network
point and expecting destination networks to foot the inter-state / inter-country
traffic ..

?

Adrian