Re: Generation of traffic in "settled" peering arrangement

  • From: steve
  • Date: Tue Aug 25 18:21:48 1998

On Tue, Aug 25, 1998 at 03:50:37PM -0400, Alec H. Peterson wrote:
> Owen DeLong wrote:
> >
> > Where do you get your data?  It seems to me that the bulk of the largest web
> > sites with which I am familiar are located in at least two datacenters.
>
> Most of the busy sites I frequent are hosted on the west coast (not just
> Exodus-hosted sites, but sites in general).

	That's just how the internet plays, there are probably more sights
phisically in the silicon valley then anywhere else on the west coast.  It's
where the busniness's are, and since they want to have their machines as
close to them as possible, they put them here.

	On the other hand, the customers who view the sites are spread out
all over the country (and world).  Therefore replication is a good thing
for these businesses.  With your servers located all around the country
(close to private or public peering points) you will get better performance.

	Of course if there are no public or private peering points located near
the site, the value would be close to nil, since distribution needs local
inbound traffic to be worthwhile.

--
Steven O. Noble -- Sr. Backbone Engineer, Exodus Communications (EXDS)
                     --   Work:408.346.2333  --