Re: Generation of traffic in "settled" peering arrangement

  • From: Jason Zigmont
  • Date: Tue Aug 25 11:59:24 1998

Here's the issue.  Customers like the idea of distributed architecture, but
are reluctant to do it.   We've (FGC) developed an intelligent DNS product
that works like a Cisco Distributed director, and can offer it for free to
our customers.   It does not cost customers anything additional to be in
two sites, but they do not want the management hassles.

One of the main issues for large sites is database replication.   For
example.  If you have a search engine in both Herndon VA, and Sunnyvale,
CA, the amount of cross country bandwidth to reliably do database
replication in real time is huge.  Therefore it is easier for that site to
stay in one location.    If you have a static site with no database,
chances are they are not large enough to need a distributed architecture.

Jason

>> Then you get into address aggregation issues that have already been
>> discussed before.
>>
>> The way I see it, an intelligent content distribution scheme addresses the
>> vast majority of these concerns.
>>
>> So, a question to the large web farms.  Why is it that the largest web
sites
>> still seem to be hosted out of a single data center?
>>
>Where do you get your data?  It seems to me that the bulk of the largest web
>sites with which I am familiar are located in at least two datacenters.

Jason Zigmont (N1JIV)		[email protected]
Senior Account Executive		212.618.9625 (V)
Frontier GlobalCenter		212.571.2036 (F)
http://www.globalcenter.net		1.888.795.3124(Pager)

	*Got Clue?!?!	http://www.ispf.com
*Coalition Against Unsolicited Commercial E-mail: http://www.cauce.org