Re: Transaction Based Settlements Encourage Waste (was Re: B

  • From: Mike Leber
  • Date: Mon Aug 24 19:12:21 1998

On Mon, 24 Aug 1998, Sean Butler wrote:
> My argument was that in addition to the peering settlement charges,
> each network would charge their customers for the traffic they generate.

Since you are proposing a receiver pays system there is less motivation
for networks to charge the sender.  In fact, they would probably pay the
sender.

> customers site.  (I'll provide them with an itemized bill that lets them
> see what cost so much and why.)

HA.  Very funny.  You really intend to send out billing notices to your
clients that detail each web transaction they did?  So you intend to send
you ISP customers the equivalent of an inverted access_log file which they
will in turn send to each dialup customer?  For a single T1 this data runs
in the range of 1 GB per day.  The cost of handling this billing
information is non zero and the cost of reviewing it is non zero.

Also, the difference necessary for revenue enhancement wouldn't have to be
a 20:1 ratio compared to existing web site size.  Even 2:1 would be quite
lucrative.  This make it more or less impossible for people to feret out
of your proposed billing statement anyway.  (Did I vist that web site last
month 4 times or 8 times???  and is it a small or big site anyway?)

Mike.

| Mike Leber             Direct Internet Connections     Voice 408 282 1540 |
| Hurricane Electric      Web Hosting & Co-location        Fax 408 971 3340 |
| [email protected]                                           http://www.he.net |