Re: Generation of traffic in "settled" peering arrangement

  • From: Richard Irving
  • Date: Mon Aug 24 18:55:59 1998

See comments below....

Paul Vixie wrote:

> > I don't know what he was saying, but I'll say something like it: gatekeeper,
> wuarchive, cdrom.com, and other archives of free stuff are going to have to
> do some kind of micropayment scheme -- charge for downloads in other words --
> in order to pay their own costs to their providers, in order that those
> providers are able to pay THEIR costs, in transit they buy or in glass they
> lease or whatever.

  I hate to ask, but are *you* buying into the host transmit charges?
As opposed to client request fee's?

  I am *not* primarily a hosting site, but I don't *even* like that
concept.   :\

  (Not that anyone really cares about my *opinion*,
   I just felt a need :)

CDROM.COM could run PASV, and the "requester" would pay for BW.
(DS0m/s ;)
Hardly an unfair request. Now, if CDROM.COM has enough sponsers,
they could allow traditional FTP... (Changes the origin, and hence
fee's)

  I could even imagine the JAVA app, that sets up the download,
popping up a little box that updates a small AD,( oh.. say every 30
seconds...) while you download via FTP from the other window...
Of course, that might hurt standard FTP programs, (or *help* them ;)

  "This download brought to you by....."
   "Click here for a great deal on .... "

  Just letting my imagination flow, pardon any obvious shortcomings..