Re: Generation of traffic in "settled" peering arrangement

  • From: Owen DeLong
  • Date: Mon Aug 24 16:08:33 1998

> At 11:00 AM 08/24/1998 -0700, Owen DeLong wrote:
> >Except, John, that you ignore the fact that you have basically required
> >anyone who wants to put a high-bandwidth server on your network to accept
> >other people writing a blank check for them, regardless of the legitimacy
> >of the hits they receive.
>
> Owen,
>
>   Clarify...  right now, many organizations with high-speed connections
>   to the Internet pay based on usage (including traffic sent).  Doesn't
>   anyone on a usage-sensitive leased-line connection pay based on the
>   traffic regardless of the "legitimacy" of the hits received?  Isn't
>   this why we all hunt down SMURFers?
>
> /John

To some extent that's true.  However, as a counter-point, consider such
sites as sunsite, wustl, smc.vnet.net, etc.  I doubt those sites would
continue to exist in a solely bandwidth sensitive pay-as-you-go world.
I think they count on flat rate connectivity to be able to continue
to exist.  I don't think the elimination of those sites (and many others
like them) would benefit the net.  Do you?

Owen