Re: spare swamp space?

  • From: Brandon Ross
  • Date: Mon Aug 24 11:12:56 1998

On Wed, 19 Aug 1998, Alex Bligh wrote:

> If you are paying per bit, you'll still pay for smurfs, but they'll have
> to be 45Mb/s in size to cause any real damage.

That's just the problem, the smurf attacks we have been receiving lately
have been big enough to completely fill our transit T3's causing a
negative impact on all of our other services.

> You'll probably find BGP flapping up and down as your T1 saturates is
> more of a problem.

I wasn't planning on running BGP over that link at all, since there will
be only a /24 on our end of it, a simple static route on the upstream's
side is sufficient.

Brandon Ross            Network Engineering     404-815-0770 800-719-4664
Director, Network Engineering, MindSpring Ent., Inc.  [email protected]
                                                            ICQ:  2269442

Stop Smurf attacks!  Configure your router interfaces to block directed
broadcasts. See http://www.quadrunner.com/~chuegen/smurf.cgi for details.