Re: Transaction Based Settlements Encourage Waste (was Re: BBN/GTEI)

  • From: Karl Denninger
  • Date: Sat Aug 22 20:42:20 1998

On Sat, Aug 22, 1998 at 07:55:22AM -0700, Michael Dillon wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Aug 1998, Dave Rand wrote:
>
> > All I can say is that if settlements are based on who is receiving
> > the traffic, there will be huge increase in the amount of money
> > that networks pay to attract everyone's favortive smurf target,
> > the IRC servers.  A 2-day-long 100 Mbps smurf will be _encouraged_ :-)
>
> The peer whose network the SMURF originates in will trace that back to the
> source so fast you'll smell the rubber burning. DoS based on large numbers
> of packets will be a thing of the past.
>
> --
> Michael Dillon                 -               Internet & ISP Consulting
> Memra Communications Inc.      -               E-mail: [email protected]

Hahahahahahhahahahahaha....

Those attacks hurt providers who are used as sources (or amplifiers) RIGHT
NOW, by saturating links that would otherwise be relatively idle!  They still
DO NOTHING!

Karl Denninger ([email protected])| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly / All Lines K56Flex/DOV