Re: Transaction Based Settlements Encourage Waste (was Re: BBN/GTEI)

  • From: Dave Rand
  • Date: Sat Aug 22 14:48:17 1998

[In the message entitled "Re: Transaction Based Settlements Encourage Waste (was Re: BBN/GTEI)" on Aug 22, 11:26, Michael Dillon writes:]
> On Sat, 22 Aug 1998, William Allen Simpson wrote:
>
> > Are you telling me that I should not fill my pipe with duplicate Acks,
> > as that would be "fraud"?
>
> No. I'm saying that if you generate spurious traffic with the
> *INTENT* of creating a revenue stream to you then you are probably
> committing fraud. If the duplicate acks are created by a program that
> serves no other useful purpose then it would be just as fraudluent as if
> you were to set up a 900 number, don a bicycle messenger's outfit, and
> visit downtown offices asking to use the phone for a momemnt and then
> calling your 900 number.

Where's the line?  If I set up "free dial-in accounts, all you can
eat", do I get settlement peering?  How about free T1's?  Free
DS3's?

This isn't the right answer.

Like it or not, data has value.  Bits have value.  The size of the
packets cannot be the only metric used.

--
Dave Rand
[email protected]