Re: BBN/GTEI

  • From: Owen DeLong
  • Date: Fri Aug 21 22:04:32 1998

> > > Not at all. I am advocating paying for transit.
> >
> > On the contrary.
> >
> > If I buy a DS1 for transit from your network, I'm expecting the person I pay
> > to provide transit - ALL OF THE TRANSIT.
>
> Of course, and I agree with you 100%. But I was not talking about a
> transit customer. I was talking about a peer whose traffic interchange is
> asymmetric and who therefore uses some regional transit in the other guy's
> network. I'm saying that instead of slamming the door in his face and
> telling him to buy transit, we need to have a scalable peering option that
> is a blend.

Ah, but you were talking about traffic from said content provider _TO_ a
transit customer, no?  The point here is that when I buy a T1 from provider A,
I expect him to get my traffic to/from the ENTIRE internet, not the Internet,
except those providers that choose not to purchase transit and are not
symmetrical in their traffic flows.

> Maybe I am headed in the wrong direction with this but I do believe we
> need a better solution for peering with asymmetric peers that reduces the
> barriers to entry to $$$. Right now there are barriers to entry that
> probably will not pass the scrutiny of the DOJ.

That may be.  However, the $$$ methods you are talking about are likely
to bill the wrong end of the connection.  You have repeatedly proposed
a solution which allows the customers of transit provider A who purchase
transit from transit provider A to write a blank check for provider B
to provider A to cover the costs of said transit customer receiving
content they request off of servers hosted by provider B.

Owen