Re: MAE-East - Operational question

  • From: Jeff Barrows
  • Date: Thu Aug 20 13:36:51 1998

 Alex -

  When I have seen packet loss between two providers peering
  across the various shared medium FDDI interconnects, it has
  almost always been due to one or more of the following
  situations :

   - Network A has congested pipe(s) into the L2 thing.
   - Network B has congested pipe(s) into the L2 thing.
   - Network A has congested pipe(s) to the rest of
     their network.
   - Network B has congested pipe(s) to the rest of
     their network.
   - The peering session between Network A and Network B
     is traversing the network of FDDI switches at the IX,
     as the networks are not peering across a FDDI switch
     that they have in common, and the links are congested.

  The above situations are mostly correctable, assuming :

   - Additional FDDI ports are available.
   - Additional capacity to their network is obtainable.

  Other things one can do :

   - FD-FDDI
   - Peering session can be moved to a FDDI switch that
     the two networks have in common.

  Don't get me wrong-- certainly one should explore means
  of interconnecting beyond the shared medium FDDI option.
  The various ATM public peering services seem a viable
  way of scaling public peering as it exists today... while
  also affording a network the opportunity to put "private
  [atm-vc] peering" on their marketing web pages. ;)

  This is my personal observation- hope it helps.

 - jsb