Re: BBN Peering issues

  • From: Karl Denninger
  • Date: Sat Aug 15 19:03:05 1998

On Sat, Aug 15, 1998 at 09:49:06PM +0000, Michael Shields wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Forrest W. Christian" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > After all, it's the BBN customers REQUESTING the data from exodus, not the
> > other way around.
>
> This argument goes around and around every time.  Unless you have a
> customer relationship with Exodus or BBN there is no point in arguing
> about what should happen with this particular case, and there is no
> point at all in arguing about what is the morally correct thing for
> the general case.  The only way to determine the value of connecting
> network A to network B, in either sign or magnitude, is for A and B to
> negotiate a price, which may even be zero.  And that's what's
> happening here, albeit in a unusually painful and visible way.
>
> If you have an opinion and are a customer of BBN or Exodus, tell them
> your opinion.  Otherwise there is no need to care.
> --
> Shields, CrossLink.

Actually, if you're a BBN customer, I strongly recommend that you tell them
by taking your contract, placing it in the paper shredder, and sending them
the chips it emits.

Then buy connectivity from someone who has a corporate view that when you
pay someone for transit, you are buying transit to all of the net they can
reach and not just those who they can pry yet more money from (especially
considering that you already paid them for that service!)

Karl Denninger ([email protected])| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly / All Lines K56Flex/DOV