Re: BBN Peering issues

  • From: Patrick W. Gilmore
  • Date: Sat Aug 15 07:56:02 1998

At 08:55 AM 8/14/98 -0700, Owen DeLong wrote:

>TRANSIT == Provider A is a customer of provider B.  Provider A announces
>routes to itself and it's customers.  Provider B announces a complete routing
>table and/or a default route to provider A.

Pardon me if this seems pedantic, but it's late, I've had a hard week, and,
well, I *am* pedantic. :)

I would like to modify this definition such that if Provider B announces
*any* route to Provider A which does not belong to Provider B or a customer
of Provider B, then Provider B is giving Provider A transit.  Please note
that "default route" is a special case which is still covered under this
definition because "default" includes netblocks not owned by the provider
or the provider's customers.

Furthermore, if Provider B propagates *any* of Provider A's routes to
Provider C, and Provider C is not a customer of Provider B, then again,
Provider B is giving Provider A transit.

Full tables/default route are not the point, IMHO.  The point is, did the
packet originate or terminate outside both networks (counting "customers"
as part of the networks)?  If either end point is not inside one of those
networks (or customers thereof), the someone has given someone else transit.

Another pedantic point (which most people on this list understand):
"customer" == "someone to whom you provide transit" by my definition.  This
follows because a provider will announce "customer" routes to a "peer".

>From here on out, it starts getting circular and my head begins to hurt. :)

I'm sorry if this bored most of you, but people have answered this twice
and still didn't get it exactly correct IMHO.  Feel free to point out my
errors if I've committed any.

TTFN,
patrick

P.S.  I really wanted to say "Provider B is providing Provider A ...", but
it's already too confusing. :)

Patrick W. Gilmore                      voice: +1-650-482-2840
Director of Operations, CCIE #2983        fax: +1-650-482-2844
PRIORI NETWORKS, INC.                    http://www.priori.net
              "Tomorrow's Performance.... Today"