Re: BBN Peering issues

  • From: Robert Bowman
  • Date: Fri Aug 14 15:44:38 1998

Please read my prior statement below, but I must not have been clear.  I'll
restate:

1.85% of our TOTAL OUTPUT goes to BBN.
We estimate that to be between 10-30% of BBN's TOTAL INPUT.

I have no idea what our total input from BBN is, but I'd imagine it to be
the same percentage, but a hell of a lot lower bandwidth (as our aggregate
input is extremely low).  If I was a larger input from BBN, supposedly we
woulldn't be in this mess..

The 10-30% range is a pure estimate based upon the number of top web sites
that use our network, the relative percentage of input we are with other
ISPs, and some guessing work.  Hence, the wide range and the "estimate"
disclaimer.

BBN is the only one that can tell us what percentage of the total input traffic
is Exodus.  Of course, you should probably take into the consideration the
amount of bits dropped into /dev/null because of the rate-shaping BBN
instituted on the pxs.  We did.

Rob
Speaking for the company.