Re: Rah for Patrick.

  • From: Patrick W. Gilmore
  • Date: Thu Aug 13 23:09:37 1998

At 06:25 PM 8/13/98 -0400, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

>Bravo, Patrick.  _This_ is how a _man_ dies, to paraphrase Bob
>Heinlein.
>
>This is a perfect counter-example to what I was bitching about with the
>BBN fracas.  Serve the customers, _then_ worry about the money.

Thank you.  Thank you very much.  (And my favorite author, too. ;)  I
honestly expected to get flamed for that post (a bunch of "I told you
so's"), but instead I got an overwhelming number of responses offering to
help.  I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.  (Even if all of you
wouldn't let me get any sleep. :)

I am absolutely positive some of the help was offered because the vultures
were circling, but some of them were honest offers of help.  I think this
shows that there is hope for the Internet community yet.

geek/engineer/operations guy to service the customer and ignore the cost,
but I have learned the hard way that money _has_ to be made.  I honestly
believed (and still do) that if you service the customer right, and charge
a fair price, the money will come.  The problem is, there's a huge hump you
have to get over in a startup, and servicing the customer well makes that
hump bigger.  Priori just couldn't make it over that hump.

Thanx again for helping my customers.  They really didn't deserve this.
The efforts of people on this list and others probably kept some of them
going "down with the ship".  If any of you ever need any help with your
routes, you got some free engineering coming. :)

>Jay R. Ashworth
[email protected]

TTFN,
patrick

Patrick W. Gilmore                      voice: +1-650-482-2840
Director of Operations, CCIE #2983        fax: +1-650-482-2844
PRIORI NETWORKS, INC.                    http://www.priori.net
              "Tomorrow's Performance.... Today"